Lilian Buchanan and Marla Emery founded The Bilingual Cooperative Preschool in 1980. These mothers wanted to give their children and others a chance to learn a second language as well as become a part of a larger community.
The Bilingual Cooperative Preschool has provided quality learning in a diverse and creative setting for more than 30 years. It is a parent-operated cooperative, where parents are active participants in their children's education. The preschool strives to develop self-confident, caring, and inquisitive young people. We hope to build a foundation for our children to acquire basic skills and an understanding of the wider world.The Bilingual Cooperative Preschool is located in the Bartram House, which is owned by The Miami Friends Meeting (Quakers). The Co-op is a non-profit, non-sectarian organization that is licensed by the Florida Department of Children and Families.
- The Co-op has two full-time teachers.
- The Co-op is open to children ages two and one half through five.
- The Co-op is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm (with exceptions as established by the Miami-Dade County Public School System).
- Extended hours are available Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 12:00 to 2:00 pm; Tuesday and Thursday from 12:00 to 3:00 pm.
- The bilingual program offers Spanish and English language development.
- Every child must have a record of immunizations.
- Active parent participation is required.